Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Strata!


A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to a ladies' brunch. I thought, "What can I bring? Ah! Strata!" This is from a recipe given to me by my friend Stevie Toepke when I was providing Easter breakfast food for the parish choir. I am trying really hard to resist calling it something like Erik Egg-Strata (which obviously worked so well that I was able to resist putting it into the blog post...or not). Whatever you call it, it's easy and delicious and adaptable to healthier eating, too. Add veggies or another type of breakfast meat. You can use egg substitute, etc., to tweak for healthier eating. You can also go whole hog (pardon the pun). Whatever you do, make it yours and make it often. You'll thank me.

Without further ado...

Strata

-5 – 6 slices of bread (cubed)—I used a Tuscan style boule

-1 pkg ground sausage (I used Gunnoe’s Mild, but use one that tastes good to you!)

-2 c. grated cheddar cheese (I used Cabot’s Seriously Sharp White Cheddar, put in the freezer for a couple of hours, then cut into chunks and pulsed in the food processor)

-11 eggs (egg substitute works fine!)

-2 ½ c. milk (I used skim)

-1 ½ t. dry mustard

-1 t salt (and I added freshly ground pepper, so feel free to add some spices of your choice)

Cook sausage, drain and crumble.

Grease 9x13 inch pan and line pan with the bread cubes.

Layer w/ sausage and cheese.

Beat eggs with salt, milk, and mustard until foamy and pour over sausage/cheese/bread. (I sprinkled some shredded parmigiano reggiano on top.)

Refrigerate overnight. Remove 30 minutes before cooking and bake uncovered for 45 – 60 minutes at 350 degrees. It will be bubbly and beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Bubbly and beautiful indeed! Who doesn't love a nice strata and our Seriously Sharp gives it that extra flavor boost. Thanks for using our products!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete